Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Best day yet with a side of PR life lessons

Today was my best day at my internship thus far! YAY!!! I did not have to compose any press lists, which was nice. I started my day by reading newsletters from various indie film sites…not bad eh? Next, I made reminder calls to reporters from various media outlets to confirm their attendance at our film screening of ‘Countdown to Zero’ (documentary about the nuclear arms race). After that is where the real fun began.

Now, I know most people hate, despise [fill in adjective here] writing but I LOVE to write…anything, literally anything. A blank word document to me is like a blank canvas to an artist; waiting to be filled by beautiful art. I love the way writing triggers my mind to think in many different ways. One of my supervisors told me she had a writing assignment for me so I was sitting on the edge of my seat all morning trying to rush through these ‘reminder calls’. The assignment was to write two pitches for one of our clients, a company that deals with pets. In the first pitch, I wrote about the top 10 best breeds for kids: a pet can be a great addition to the family as well as teach kids about responsibility. I also wrote about the top 10 tips for keeping your loved ones (the two-legged and four-legged) safe, yada yada. In the second pitch, I wrote about the top 10 travel tips for bringing your beloved pooch with you on vacation: follow these tips for happy travels for both you and Fido. In addition, I wrote about the top 10 pet friendly hotels: do not stress about booking your furry family member at the kennel, bring him with you to create fun memories! Bottom line, the reason I love PR is because I can be creative, have fun and use adjectives which is something I do not experience very much of at ASU.

Later on, I read this week’s People magazine, answered the phones, took care of the mail and composed a list of sponsors for various film festivals.

At the end of the day, all of us interns had a meeting with the company owners. The meeting was great and I learned a lot. Some of the advice we got was to take classes like psychology, philosophy and writing. At least I know the Cronkite School’s rubric is right on point. I was also told not to get an MBA for PR or journalism…waste of time and I will still make the same salary without one; good I do not think I could handle four more years after my undergrad studies. I think that the most valuable piece of advice I received today is that it is not important to take boring classes; you only get to go to college once (most of us anyway), so learn what YOU want to learn, and most importantly KEEP AN OPEN MIND ALWAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment